Civil engineering design support to the replacement of the 1860s, Grade II listed timber bridge that crosses the river Dwyryd in Pont Briwet, North Wales.
Highways and Drainage Civil engineering design
As a member of the design team, TSP provided all highways and drainage civil engineering design of the approach roads to the bridge including adjacent junction improvements. The civil engineering design included production of Construction Drawings and Specification for Highway Works. The project also presents significant challenges of coordination and therefore utilises Building Information Management (BIM) procedures to ensure an efficient design and construction process
The project involves the replacement of the 1860s, Grade II listed timber bridge that crosses the river Dwyryd in Pont Briwet, North Wales. The current structure is a single line rail track and single carriageway toll road over the river between Llandecwyn and Penrhyndeudraeth railway station. The £19.5 million project is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund, administered by the Welsh Government, as well as funding from TraCC, Network Rail and Gwynedd Council.
Hewsons Bridge Design Engineers, member of the Hochtief design & build team for Gwynedd Council and Network Rail
Pont Brewit carries a single track rail line and a single lane toll road over the river between Llandecwyn and Penrhyndeudraeth railway station.
Planned Project Completion:
Construction due for completion Spring 2015
Benefits of the proposed scheme are:
- Free transport links as toll charges will be waived by Network Rail
- Less road congestion with a two way carriageway
- Better transport links for heavier vehicles, i.e. ambulances, coaches or lorries, which now detour 8 miles through the village of Maentwrog
- More alternative transport options for the community and tourists with a new cycle path and footpath that link with the National Coastal Path and Welsh National Cycle Route 8
- A better performing railway as the renewed track will provide an increased linespeed of 40mph
- A more reliable and robust transport link on a new structure that will be less prone to flooding and designed to last for at least another century
0333 700 4001Contact us